Saturday, August 22, 2009

SUNSET PRIDE: Carol Schuldt, Queen of the Beach

In my continued effort to highlight what makes the Sunset District so great, I'd be in error if I were not to mention Carol Schuldt, "Queen of the Beach". At one point in my life a few years back, she was my landlord (a story for another time).


















She has been a fixture, better yet a foundation, out in our neighborhood for years. One of the original locals to hang out at Kelly's Cove back in the day. Describing Carol is really tough to do. Much of who she is can be best described by her actions. Here are just a few I can rattle off (keep in mind that she is in her 70's):

- Bikes to most of her destinations on a daily basis
- Body surfs damn near on a daily basis on the very south end of Ocean Beach - NAKED!
- Recently completed a hike up Mt. Shasta (I don't think that she summited but close)
- Has biked Death Valley not too long ago
- Has (2) hip replacements
- Retains a keen eye on her environment (especially the ocean)
- Has a kick ass garden in her backyard (not neat and orderly but just thriving and beautiful)
- Raises chickens 

I believe that most people who cross paths with Carol find her on the "eccentric" side and to their credit she does dress a bit tusseled (the dirt is typically from her garden). She can be a bit in your face if you are not used to her demeanor. And certainly if she is standing in front of her house on La Playa (her domain) you really get a sense of her eclectic style in the form of the bright colors, painted murals, stuffed animals, buoys, statuary and random found artifacts that she utilizes to decorate the exterior.

I'll end this by saying that she is truly one of a kind. One of the unique personalities that make the Sunset District so great. I truly enjoy talking with her and catching up. She has greats stories to tell. If you pass by her in front of her house, I'd encourage anyone to stop and say "hello". If you have time ask, "I hear you have a terrific garden in back?". Chances are she'll invite you to take a look. Time worth spent from my perspective.

Here is a link to The Surfers Journal which recently highlighted her lifestyle and body surfing in an article. Worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment