Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Photography: All about Time & Place
















Let me start off by saying that I by no means consider myself a professional photographer. I love photography and have shot consistently over the past (8) years - enough to pick up a few skills, compose some nice shots and gain a confidence in showing my work. I still have a lot to learn though especially as it relates to the technical side of photography.

One thing I have learned over the years and can confidently state is that good photos don't necessarily find you. You have to go out and seek them. Whether it be a specific location, subject matter or activity, I find the more work you put into seeking/scouting your shots up front, the better the pay-off.

I've also learned that having a full time job can some times get in the way of my photographic pursuits. Don't get me wrong, I love my job - wouldn't change a thing. There are times when duty calls (work) and I'd really like to be out and about pointing my camera at cool subject matter.

Case in point, this past Monday I was on my daily commute to the East Bay, when all of a sudden I popped out of the Caldecott Tunnel and into a winter wonderland! I had forgotten about the cold front moving in and did not pay close enough attention to the radio when they stated that snow levels would drop to 2000 FT. I'll listen better next time because in hindsight I realize that I missed out on something very special. I have never seen Mt. Diablo covered with as much snow as I did that morning. Incredible!

Alas...I was only able to shoot Mt. Diablo this morning, early before work. Certainly not as compelling had I shot it on Monday morning but enough to get the point across and to scout a perfect spot for when the next Arctic cold front sweeps over us. I'll be there snapping away!

Did you get some good shots of Mt. Diablo with snow? I would love to see them or hear about where you chose to shoot from. Here is a link to some nice shots from a woman on FLICKR. I like her shots, they remind me of Montana.


No comments:

Post a Comment