Saturday, November 14, 2009

KOMMUNITAS an Urban Allery

















While waiting to get my windshield replaced down South of Market, I decided to take advantage of the 2 hours of time to roam around the area and shoot some photography. I've always enjoyed aimlessly wandering around this neighborhood shooting pictures because inevitably you are always bumping into interesting... well... stuff.

People, art, filth, grime, industry, businesses, restaurants, poverty, wealth, vacated spaces (especially nowadays), new condos, old condos, train yards, new cars, old cars, delivery trucks, gutters, cyclone fences, rust, broken glass, flyered telephone poles, quiet clubs, weeds sprouting out of cracks, the lone community garden, wandering souls. I'm never let down when I criss-cross these streets, there is always something to point the camera at. The area is always changing but in some weird way it kinda stays the same... stuff just seems to shift around.

I decided to go by an alley that I knew had a considerable amount of Graffiti / Street Art in it. I was surprised to find the pic above posted on the fence at the front of the alley. What I thought was just a random stroll to a non-descript alley was actually a visit to one of the cooler Galleries (or an Allery) that I have been to in awhile. It is actually managed or curated by KOMMUNITAS. Go here to not learn much about it. Or go here to learn more about the individual that runs KOMMUNITAS.

The work / art / graffiti / street art that I have found here over the years has always been exceptional and worth a visit. I'd highly recommend stopping by. Please note the colors of my uploaded images do not do the art justice. It did not help that it was overcast as well that morning.

Have you been to this alley before? Do you know the names of these artists? What do you think of the work? Do you know other great areas in SF to see art like this? Drop us a line I'd love to know. Also stay tuned as I will be posting an (8) year retrospective of some of my favorite street art that I have documented over the years of living and working within San Francisco. 

A few more images for your enjoyment.







































































































































































































For information on Jimmy McGriff, click here to check out some of his albums. Gotta love some of those covers!!!

3 comments:

  1. Just found another recent write-up on this spot with a small interview with the "curator" of the allery.

    http://www.thehydramag.com/archives/168

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos of the Kommunitas allery! I'd also recommend the Mac Dre mural in Langton Alley (off Harrison between 7th and 8th streets), if you're in the neighborhood again!

    mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, thanks for the heads up. I think I have been through there but it has been a long time since my last visit.

    ReplyDelete