Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jessica Dunne, an artist with an eye for San Francisco's Sunset District

"Sloat at Sunset", Jessica Dunne

















I recently stumbled upon a book highlighting the artistic work of Jessica Dunne. I found the book at Mullosk Surf Shop (they do not list it in the books section, it is at the shop though). What I was most struck about Jessica's work was her obvious close connection to our fine neighborhood the Sunset. I have yet to see any artist capture the feeling of our neighborhood quite as well as she has. The landscape/streetscape, the color, the dampness, the lighting, iconic Sunset subject matter, it is all there and impressively done.

Much of her work that interests me centers around The Great Highway, specific homes in the hood and beachscapes that often include the beautiful waves that wash up on our beach. I've also stumbled upon a book that focuses on her paintings of a local surfboard shaper. While I appreciate this collection it does not capture my attention as much as her Sunset-centric work. She has quite a bit of San Francisco-centric paintings as well - obviously a bi-product of just a portion of her education at San Francisco State.

If you'd like to see more of her work, check out her website:


Are you familair with Jessica Dunne? Have you met her? Do you own any of her artwork? If so I'd love to hear first hand information on this talented artist.

"Feinstein's Legacy", Jessica Dunne

















"Mercury Vapor", Jessica Dunne

No comments:

Post a Comment