Thursday, July 16, 2009

Son this ain't...

...your Dad's CA no more.

And it sure as hell is not my Granddad's! So much change and so much development has truly reshaped CA over the past 100 years. Only family momentos and stories passed down from generation to generation to assist in gauging the extent. I've also picked up a few books recently to help educate me about the History of the land I inhabit and from time to time take for granted.

"From Wilderness to Empire, A History of California 1542-1900" by Robert Glass Cleland


















Picked it up used (The Great Overland Book Company) a couple months ago and been nipping at it. What a timely book to read with our current State financial woes etc. Its almost like reading a reenactment. As we all know, our fellow CAians went through a significant time of  tremendous prosperity in the form of the Gold Rush (1849). It wasn't too long afterward that CA went through a severe financial hangover, not dissimilar to our current situation. A lot stemmed from Real Estate debacles - sound familiar? Very interesting read!

From Cadillac salesman / entrepreneur (my Granddad) , to small town Hardware Store Owner (my Dad), to Graphic Design Director (me), how will my story unfold and how will I impact the State that I have grown to love? How will it shape me? At this point it is a toss-up, but I know for sure that I'm making observations that will guide me and my family's path and taking samples along the way in the form of photography that I intend to share through this medium.

I'm optimistic (eternally) about my future and the future of CA, after all, they don't call it the land of milk and honey for nothing. If only there weren't so many damn people!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment