Saturday, July 18, 2009

Rugged Individualists


















My Grandparents. My father's side of the family. My Granddad in the middle and my Grandmother on the right. I'm convinced they had good senses of humor. My grandfather wearing my Grandmothers hat and my Grandmother wearing my Granddad's hat and pointing his pistol (maybe hers) directly at the photographer! Different times. Won't speculate where they are or what has inspired them to take on these personas, all I can say is that I like this pic and hope that some of their humor was passed to me.


















Getting back to my original post on this blog, CA was a bit different back when my Grandparents roamed this land. As the previous picture illustrated, "packing heat" was not as much of an issue. My Grandfather was a passionate hunter and fisherman. The pic above shows him with what would be considered a trophy Rainbow Trout by CA standards these days. 























Hook'em and cook cook'em! The days when fishermen were awarded with a full creel and stomach of fresh trout and not just "the sport" of it. These days it is Catch and Release on the majority of Fly Fishing worthy rivers, lakes and streams. Not a bad catch above either. Not too many specimens below the 12" size, with some looking to tip the 20" size.

The current issue of California Fly Fisher (AUG 2009), Richard Anderson the Publisher and Editor, opens the issue with a remark that much of the local waters of CA still fish just as good as much of the Great American West waters did back in the 80's and that he may have become spoiled by predominantly fly fishing the Golden State. My observation is that if you really want good fly fishing these days in CA, you have to seek it out and work hard for it. Become a rugged individualist and not follow the pack.

I think my Granddad (and Grandma) would do well these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment