Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Coyote Breaks Blogger's Block

I can't put my finger on it... I guess that I ran into my first severe case of blogger's block! But in defense of myself I have dealt with the following since 03/15/10 (my last post): My daughter's 2nd birthday; a serious case of the flu (from said daughter), a (5) day backpacking trip and a busy work schedule. Enough excuses, now on with some semi-decent content.
















My first local Coyote! For the last year or so I have been active with my Bay Nature Flickr Group where all I see are these beautiful pictures of local Coyotes, Bobcats and the rare Mountain Lion shot. I began to get jealous. After all, I spend enough time hiking the surrounding coastal and East Bay Hills, I deserved a "run-in"!

Well it finally happened and I must say that beyond the initial awe of seeing this cool canine it was rather uneventful. He/she just sauntered out carefully from the nearby coastal bush cover walked across a field, sniffed around the grass in various places and waltzed right along the edge of a semi packed parking lot. He/she definitely caught everyone's attention and stopped traffic too - our own Yellowstone traffic jam. Beautiful animal.

It all took place in the Marin Headlands at the dirt parking lot near the Miwok and Bobcat trailheads. I was just out for a nice evening hike with my wife and daughter. We were located not too far from where I have also witnessed my first bobcat while mountain biking years ago.

Thank god for Coyotes, if I had not come across him/her I may have given up on my career as a professional blogger!!!

A interesting video clip on local Coyotes, courtesy of Bay Nature Magazine.
















No comments:

Post a Comment