Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Great Highway / Dispatch II from the shrinking Front Line

















Took a drive down to Sloat Parking lot at the end of the Great Highway right where they detour traffic to avoid the eroding roadway. I wanted to get a first hand update on what is taking place. A good couple weeks ago I saw large earth moving machinery in the area and they were starting to dump rocks over the side to try and slow Mother Nature. After parking I walked down to where most of the work was being done.

My last post I mentioned that this would be a very interesting situation to watch as all the "players/stakeholders" have their own agendas and perspectives on how this roadway should be fixed - or not fixed for that matter.

Let me introduce the "players/stakeholders":
















CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO
Obviously the City does not want to loose any major infrastructure and I'm not talking about the Great Highway! Just across the street, literally 100ft, lies one of the City's largest waste treatment facilities that was built back in the 90's. They cannot afford to shut down this plant. When it was built, evidently a lot of people questioned the desired location due to the cose proximity to the ocean. Oooppps.
















SURFRIDER FOUNDATION / ENVIRONMENTALISTS
Have a close watch on this project and obviously oppose anything that would be done to the coastline that would hinder access or destroy what many consider one of the best waves at the beach. They'd prefer less rock dumping and try more sand treatments - actually dumping major amounts of sand off shore to quell the erosion. The City wanted 950ft length of rip-rap dumped and evidently agreed (through pressure of the Surfrider Foundation) to only dump 400-500ft.
















NATIONAL PARK SERVICE
The area in question is within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Interesting perspective from what I hear... they basically are somewhat indifferent to the loss of the parking area and or roadway. If there are manmade elements that are being reclaimed by Mother Nature (especially parking lots) they might favor letting her take it.
















RESIDENTS OF THE SUNSET DISTRICT
Hard to say where people stand on this, I have not talked with enough people around the hood. I for one find that it cuts down the crowds at this end of the beach which one could look at in a favorable manner. I can also see that it is making traffic through the area pretty darn difficult so it may be making some residents commute difficult. I will say that I do like my toilet flushing and that when flushed it does not go right out into the water I swim in.

May still be too early to call what is the best solution and it may be too late as they are starting to drop rocks over the side. Somewhat of a "perfect storm" situation - literally!































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment