Monday, February 22, 2010

Epicuro, Salice Salentino - A Wine Review
























First things first...

...THIS IS NOT A PAID REVIEW (although I'll try hard to get the wine makers attention with this review in hopes to get a free bottle or two, I'm not too proud).

If you are the type of wine enthusiast that enjoys reading phrases such as, "slightly oaky undertones", "fruit forward splendor", "visions of mustard fields in Autumn", or "hints of this or that..." you may not want to proceed onward - you'll read none of that here.

You will however read words like "tasty", "smooth", "damn good", and (I can already hear the wine snob cringes from Napa Valley) I might even throw out a "yummy!". This wine is that damn good! And Napa Valley snobs fear not because this wine hails from Italy!


















I must also come clean and state that I am not a true wine aficionado, I'm more of a beer guy (more gasps and screams from Napa Valley). But as I see it, better to have someone like myself be inspired by this tasty appellation and not get caught up in the mumbo-jumbo lifestyle-speak. Purely writing from the heart here because I truly believe this is a good wine and one people should know about. I wish I could take credit for its discovery but I owe that to my wife, she picked it up at Trader Joe's - the only place to buy wine and feel like you are not wasting your money.

It is a 2005 reserve, blend of 80% Negro Amaro and 20% Malvasia Nera grapes. It pours beautifully. A rich dark red color and a wonderful fruit smell that I find hard to resist. I want to smell it as much as I want to drink it - a good sign. The flavor is strong in fruit with a smooth finish. Nothing bitter or strong about it. Swirl it around the mouth a bit and continue to enjoy the flavor. In my opinion a perfectly approachable wine for any occasion.

Ladies and gentlemen, the true joy of this wine - $5.99 a bottle! A true steal as far as I'm concerned. I've even bought several bottles for friends just to turn them onto it. This is only the second time in my life I have felt compelled to buy a case of wine and keep it on hand, this again coming from a beer guy. And definitely the first time I have felt compelled to evangelize over a wine.

So there you have it. Pick some up for yourself and give it a try. I do not think you'll be let down. And if you do try it out, drop me a line - I'd love to hear what you think.

Napa Valley wine snobs can rest, I spared you from drop'in the "yummy!".

For more info on the Importer, D'Aquino Italian Importing Co., click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment